Re: SQL99, CREATE CAST, and initdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: SQL99, CREATE CAST, and initdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> I've got patches for the CREATE CAST/DROP CAST feature (just a
> rearrangement of our existing function declaration syntax). The SQL99
> form assumes that an existing function will be used for the cast
> definition, so I've extended the syntax to allow that and to have an
> alternate form which has more of our CREATE FUNCTION functionality.

Could you provide more precise details?  I've thought of this before, when
the new "may be a cast function" feature was added, and this feature
didn't match very well.

> I'm also looking at the SQL99 INFORMATION_SCHEMA views. Is anyone
> already defining these?

Yes.  I'm done through section 20.18 (COLUMNS view).

> The initdb folks may want to start thinking about the best way to
> support a larger number of views; currently they are embedded directly
> into the initdb script but that would get unwieldy with more of them
> (and some of them are *really* fat definitions!).

I think they can be loaded from an external file.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net