SQL99, CREATE CAST, and initdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject SQL99, CREATE CAST, and initdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've got patches for the CREATE CAST/DROP CAST feature (just a
rearrangement of our existing function declaration syntax). The SQL99
form assumes that an existing function will be used for the cast
definition, so I've extended the syntax to allow that and to have an
alternate form which has more of our CREATE FUNCTION functionality.

I'm also looking at the SQL99 INFORMATION_SCHEMA views. Is anyone
already defining these? Is someone interested in picking this up? I've
got some definitions in a contrib-style directory but have not yet
mapped them to PostgreSQL.

The initdb folks may want to start thinking about the best way to
support a larger number of views; currently they are embedded directly
into the initdb script but that would get unwieldy with more of them
(and some of them are *really* fat definitions!).
                  - Thomas