Re: OT: Apache::Session::DBI vs postgresql? --help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From will trillich
Subject Re: OT: Apache::Session::DBI vs postgresql? --help
Date
List pgsql-general
Alex Pilosov wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, will trillich wrote:
>
> > the manpages for Apache::Session::DBI still say that it
> > uses Apache::Session::DBIStore for its grunt work. whereas
> You still have the old manpages (and probably old scripts).
> CPAN's upgrades don't delete files that belong to old modules.

good point -- what's the Recommended Procedure, there?

> > normal db lookup scripts can
> >       use DBI
> > which then hooks into the needed DBD::<whatever> according to
> > the datasource pattern; i guess Apache::Session::DBI doesn't do
> > that... which is why we have to specify
> >       use Apache::Session::Postgres
> > *and*
> >       ...DataSource=>'dbi:Pg:dbname=something'...
> > which seems a bit unmodular, to coin a phrase.
> That's because unfortunately, the database schema that needs to be used is
> dependent on the type of a database, so you do need to tell which specific
> database you use.

but isn't that what

    $DBD_Driver = ($DataSource =~ m/^dbi:(\w+):/)[0]

would do? with old-fashioned "DBI" we just

    use DBI;
    my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:TheDriverSpec:database-connect-string");

and the DBD::TheDriverSpec is loaded automatically.

--
mailto:will@serensoft.com
http://www.dontUthink.com/