Re: Help on WAL needed! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Help on WAL needed!
Date
List pgsql-general
Namrata writes:

> I want to know about the WAL. How it is used in postgreSQL and how it is implemented and how data is recovered using
WAL?

-> Administrator's Guide

> Is there any provision for fault tolerance provided in postgreSQL?

If you mean "hardware fault": not really.

> Is there any versioning of data provided in postgreSQL when we alter the table contentes ( say If I add new column to
thetable and after some time if
> I don't want new column. I want my previous table contents. Can I get it using the versioning of the data? )

"Time travel" was removed several years ago, and I don't think it ever
covered schema changes.  You can do this with triggers, there should be an
example somewhere in contrib, IIRC.