Re: OT: Apache::Session::DBI vs postgresql? --help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: OT: Apache::Session::DBI vs postgresql? --help
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, will trillich wrote:

> Alex Pilosov wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, will trillich wrote:
> >
> > > the manpages for Apache::Session::DBI still say that it
> > > uses Apache::Session::DBIStore for its grunt work. whereas
> > You still have the old manpages (and probably old scripts).
> > CPAN's upgrades don't delete files that belong to old modules.
>
> good point -- what's the Recommended Procedure, there?
None, don't use old files ;)

> > That's because unfortunately, the database schema that needs to be used is
> > dependent on the type of a database, so you do need to tell which specific
> > database you use.
>
> but isn't that what
>
>     $DBD_Driver = ($DataSource =~ m/^dbi:(\w+):/)[0]
>
> would do? with old-fashioned "DBI" we just
>
>     use DBI;
>     my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:TheDriverSpec:database-connect-string");
No. The schema is different, and the way you store things in database is
actually different for different types of database. (Such as on certain
databases Session code may use large objects, etc). DBI is to do _same_
things across many databases. Apache::Session needs to do different things
for different databases.

-alex