RE: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert D. Nelson
Subject RE: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x
Date
List pgsql-general
>  I actually do understand the differences among -i (install) -U (upgrade)
>and -F (freshen). What I don't understand is why what _should_ work _isn't_
>working.
>
>  For example, as Lamar and others suggested:
>
>[root@salmo rshepard]# rpm -qa | grep postgres
>postgresql-server-6.5.3-1
>postgresql-test-6.5.3-1
>postgresql-7.0.3-2
>
>  "Aha, I said. The rpm database thinks that postgresql-server, and -test
>are still
>installed." Then I tried to erast the server:
>
>[root@salmo rshepard]# rpm -e postgresql-server-6.5.3-1
>error reading information on service postgresql: No such file or directory
>execution of script failed

Note that last line: execution of script failed. Try running that same
command with --force. The problem is that you manually deleted the files, or
--force'd 7.0 to install, and now it can't figure out how to remove it from
the database.

>/usr/include/pgsql/ and /usr/lib/pgsql/. But, when I ran the query again,
>-devel didn't show up.

Evidently, enuf stuff was left that it was able to go all the way thru the
script, so it was successfully removed.
>  Next: re-starting postgres. Do I do this by invoking initdb? Here's what
>that did:
>
>[root@salmo rshepard]# initdb
>The program pg_id needed by initdb could not be found. It was
>expected at:
>    /usr/bin/pg_id
>If this is not the correct directory, please start initdb
>with a full search path. Otherwise make sure that the program
>was installed successfully.
>
>  Thanks, everyone. Getting closer here to a working postgres-7.0.3!

Try uninstalling everything related to postgres that is now installed. Then
remove /var/lib/pgsql and any data directories that may exist. Start from
scratch. Oh, and as to order? I just installed them all together, like "rpm
-ivh postgresql-7.0.3*"

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us