RE: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject RE: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Robert D. Nelson wrote:

> Try uninstalling everything related to postgres that is now installed. Then
> remove /var/lib/pgsql and any data directories that may exist. Start from
> scratch. Oh, and as to order? I just installed them all together, like "rpm
> -ivh postgresql-7.0.3*"

  Thanks, Rob! I keep forgetting about the Microsoft approach: unload
everything and start from scratch. That did it. Of course, I forgot the
password for user "postgres", so I deleted and re-added that account. Then
initdb wouldn't work because of ownership problems.

  The rpms installed /var/lib/pgsql as owned by root.root. I changed that to
postgres.users but still had ownership problems. Turns out that the
owner/group for for every file and directory under this was 26.26. I changed
those, too, and initdb ran just fine. Postmaster was already running so it
wouldn't start another instance.

  Many thanks, all! Now I'll get back to using the tool.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)