Re: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x
Date
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Thanks, Lamar. I upgraded the server package, and that appeared to work
> just fine. Then I installed the others. Is 'initdb' the proper way to
> restart everything, and creat a new /var/lib/pgsql? It's been a while since
> I worked with postgres, but I need to really dig into app development now.

You can let the packaged initscript do it for you, as long as there is
no previous database structure in place under /var/lib/pgsql -- you
would want to remove everything below that dir EXCEPT the subdirs data
and backups, as well as .bash_profile.

Execute as root '/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start' and it will both
initdb and start the postmaster for you.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio