Array Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Burski
Subject Array Problem
Date
Re: [NOVICE] Array Problem  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
I'm working with version 6.5.2 and I've created a test table that
contains both a one and a two dimensional array.

     CREATE TABLE testa (
     name text,
     links int2[],
     vals int2[][] );

I'v populated the table with at least one record, so I should be able
run 'select' requests that deliver something *meaningful*.

If I select everything or specify an entire array, the query works OK.

     SELECT name, links FROM testa;        # OK

If I specify a particular array subscipt, for example:

     SELECT name, links[1] FROM testa;

I get an error message that says:

     ERROR:  Unable to locate type name 'vals' in catalog

Yet the documentation seems to indicate that this is a valid *select*
statement.

Any suggestions?  Upgrading to 7.0 is not an option at the present time.

Thanks.

--
John Burski
Lead Programmer