Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 10:47 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the compression routine name, I did not include "Am" because
>> currently, we are storing the compression method in the new catalog
>> "pg_compression" not in the pg_am.   So are you suggesting that we
>> should store the compression methods also in the pg_am instead of
>> creating a new catalog?  IMHO, storing the compression methods in a
>> new catalog is a better option instead of storing them in pg_am
>> because actually, the compression methods are not the same as heap or
>> index AMs, I mean they are actually not the access methods.  Am I
>> missing something?

> Oh, I thought it had been suggested in previous discussions that these
> should be treated as access methods rather than inventing a whole new
> concept just for this, and it seemed like a good idea to me. I guess I
> missed the fact that the patch wasn't doing it that way. Hmm.

FWIW, I kind of agree with Robert's take on this.  Heap and index AMs
are pretty fundamentally different animals, yet we don't have a problem
sticking them in the same catalog.  I think anything that is related to
storage access could reasonably go into that catalog, rather than
inventing a new one.