Re: mark/restore failures on unsorted merge joins - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: mark/restore failures on unsorted merge joins
Date
List pgsql-hackers

 >> The problem is that the planner calls ExecSupportsMarkRestore to
 >> find out whether a Materialize node is needed, and that function
 >> looks no further than the Path type of T_Index[Only]Path in order to
 >> return true, even though in this case it's a GiST index which does
 >> not support mark/restore.

 >> (Usually this can't be a problem because the merge join would need
 >> sorted input, thus the index scan would be a btree; but a merge join
 >> that doesn't actually have any sort keys could take unsorted input
 >> from any index type.)

 Tom> Sounds like the right analysis.

 >> Going forward, this looks like IndexOptInfo needs another am*
 >> boolean field, but that's probably not appropriate for the back
 >> branches; maybe as a workaround, ExecSupportsMarkRestore should just
 >> check for btree?

 Tom> Uh, why would you not just look to see if the ammarkpos/amrestrpos
 Tom> fields are non-null?

We don't (in the back branches) seem to have a pointer to the
IndexAmRoutine handy, only the oid? Obviously we can look it up from the
oid, but is that more overhead than we want in a join cost function,
given that this will be called for all potential mergejoins considered,
not just JOIN_FULL? Or is the overhead not worth bothering about?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)