Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 10:47 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the compression routine name, I did not include "Am" because
> currently, we are storing the compression method in the new catalog
> "pg_compression" not in the pg_am.   So are you suggesting that we
> should store the compression methods also in the pg_am instead of
> creating a new catalog?  IMHO, storing the compression methods in a
> new catalog is a better option instead of storing them in pg_am
> because actually, the compression methods are not the same as heap or
> index AMs, I mean they are actually not the access methods.  Am I
> missing something?

Oh, I thought it had been suggested in previous discussions that these
should be treated as access methods rather than inventing a whole new
concept just for this, and it seemed like a good idea to me. I guess I
missed the fact that the patch wasn't doing it that way. Hmm.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com