Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS UNIX? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS UNIX?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gord Tomlin <gord.tomlin@sympatico.ca> writes:
> EBCDIC doesn't always have to be a show stopper. There are plenty of
> applications that have been ported successfully, and a few (notably
> Python) that haven't gone so well. An easy way to get burned is to make
> ASCII-centric assumptions about collating order, e.g., c'A' > c'1', or
> c'A' < c'a'.

The code's kinda full of those, too :-( --- maybe not directly on the
type of case you mention, but there are definitely assumptions that the
codes for letters and numbers are consecutive, which IIRC EBCDIC fails
to do.  We've never spent any effort to avoid that.