Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS UNIX? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gord Tomlin
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS UNIX?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Tom,

EBCDIC isn't strictly mandatory, but it is the lingua franca of
mainframes, so for most applications not running EBCDIC would result in
constant translation between EBCDIC and ASCII, which can become a
performance issue. The platform does support ASCII and Unicode, but in
most cases you're choosing to put an application on z/OS to interact
with existing applications and data that are in EBCDIC-land. After all,
if you aren't there to access that stuff, why not just run in a Linux
image on the machine (which does not use EBCDIC) instead?

EBCDIC doesn't always have to be a show stopper. There are plenty of
applications that have been ported successfully, and a few (notably
Python) that haven't gone so well. An easy way to get burned is to make
ASCII-centric assumptions about collating order, e.g., c'A' > c'1', or
c'A' < c'a'. Code that always uses isalpha() and friends should be OK.
Your warning about character sets all being expected to be ASCII
supersets is a concern.

Regards, Gord Tomlin