Re: keeping a log / debug info - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: keeping a log / debug info
Date
List pgsql-general
"Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6@bcbsm.com> writes:
> I am running postgres with a '-d' option (debug)
> and storing that info in a log file.  This morning
> I moved the log file (trying to gzip it) and touched
> a new version of that file ... (didn't mean to do that).
> Now no data is being recorded ...

If you are just directing stderr into a file then you can't rotate
log files that way.  You could use syslog instead, or you could
pipe stderr to a log-rotation script.  I prefer the latter, mainly
because there are some messages that can't be redirected to syslog
(eg, dynamic linker failure messages).  See
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/logfile-maintenance.html
and past discussions in the mailing list archives.

            regards, tom lane