keeping a log / debug info - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnson, Shaunn
Subject keeping a log / debug info
Date
Re: keeping a log / debug info  ("Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
List pgsql-general

Howdy:

Running PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on RedHat Linux 7.2 kernel 2.4.7.

I am running postgres with a '-d' option (debug)
and storing that info in a log file.  This morning
I moved the log file (trying to gzip it) and touched
a new version of that file ... (didn't mean to do that).
Now no data is being recorded ...

Can I restart the database without losing backends
that currently exist?  Sort of a -HUP postmaster<pid>?

Is there a way to record this info via /etc/syslog.conf
and have the system do it? (for instance, the message file ...
when it gets so large, it is moved to message.0
and you see a *new* message file).

Thanks!

-X