Re: PostgreSQL 7.4RC1 crashes on Panther - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 7.4RC1 crashes on Panther
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 7.4RC1 crashes on Panther  (Scott Goodwin <scott@scottg.net>)
Re: PostgreSQL 7.4RC1 crashes on Panther  (Scott Goodwin <scott@scottg.net>)
List pgsql-bugs
Scott Goodwin <scott@scottg.net> writes:
> psql:/Users/scott/m/ops/database/sql/add_languages.sql:13: server
> closed the connection unexpectedly
>          This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>          before or while processing the request.

> ...output in the log file is:

> LOG:  server process (PID 2739) was terminated by signal 10

Here's the real problem --- why are you getting a SIGBUS while trying to
load the pltcl handler function?  I suspect something broken in Tcl's
shared library, but dunno what.  You should be getting a core file from
the crashed process --- can you get a stack trace from it with gdb?

> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=3809280,
> 03600).

This is evidently happening during attempted restart after the backend
crash.  I suspect it is a matter of the OS not having released the old
memory segment yet, together with the SHMMAX limit being too tight to
allow two such segments to exist concurrently.  Are you able to start
the server by hand immediately afterwards, or a few seconds afterwards?
Or do you have to reboot before it will restart?

            regards, tom lane