Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> From: Dave Cramer [mailto:pg@fastcrypt.com]
>> I'd like to know more about the issues you are trying to
>> solve? Seems counter productive for all of us to attempt this
>> independently

> Mainly lack of time :-)

> SSL and v3+ protocol support are the primary issues. If we can use
> libpq, then obviously we don't have to worry about them any more.

Another point is that since the ODBC driver is C anyway, there are no
cross-language issues for it in relying on libpq.  This is quite
different IMHO from the situation for JDBC, or DBD::Pg, where there are
advantages in having a single-language solution.

BTW, there is also a pure-Tcl client implementation out there, written
despite the pre-existence of a version sitting atop libpq.  Same story:
needing some C code reduces portability, or at least ease of installation.