Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
Date
Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> And we get into the whole question of error handling, which is what
>> shot down that proposal last time.

> Can you remind me of the details?  I don't remember that issue.
> Currently PQinitSSL() returns void, so I don't see an issue there.

The point is exactly the same as the complaint about turning PQinitSSL's
argument into a bitmask: if you are trying to define an extensible API
then you need a way for the app to determine whether all the bits it
passed were recognizable by the library.

I think we should stick with the simple two-argument function and not
try to design a solution for unknown problems.  Otherwise we are right
back at the point where the previous thread petered out for lack of
consensus.