Re: More message encoding woes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More message encoding woes
Date
Re: More message encoding woes  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
Re: More message encoding woes  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Could we get away with just unconditionally calling
>> bind_textdomain_codeset with *our* canonical spelling of the encoding
>> name?  If it works, great, and if it doesn't, you get English.

> Yeah, that's better than nothing.

A quick look at the output of "iconv --list" on Fedora 10 and OSX 10.5.6
says that it would not work quite well enough.  The encoding names are
similar but not identical --- in particular I notice a lot of
discrepancies about dash versus underscore vs no separator at all.

What we need is an API equivalent to "iconv --list", but I'm not seeing
one :-(.  Do we need to go so far as to try to run that program?
Its output format is poorly standardized, among other problems ...