Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2022-07-24 20:27:56 -0400, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On 7/24/22 19:56, Taka Taka wrote:
>     I would like to know if psqlodbc_13_02 is compatible with M365.
>     Also, could you please tell me which of the psqlodbc_13_02 would be
>     suitable to Windows 10 64-bit?
>
> What is M365? Is it a part of Microsoft Office 365, aka "O365"? Is it related
> to M-16? What di you mean by "driver suitable for Windows 10"? If the driver
> can be installed and configured by the MS ODBC driver administrator, then I
> guess it's suitable.

Not at all. There are 32 bit and 64 bit variants. You can install and
configure both on a 64 bit Windows, but you can only use the one which
matches the architecture of your application. I am guessing that M365 is
now 64 bit only, but I've certainly seen 32 bit MS Office installed on
64 bit MS Windows, and the confusion that caused.

Also there is a Unicode and an "ANSI" variant of the PostgreSQL ODBC
driver. My advice has always been to use the Unicode variant, but I
assume that the ANSI variant still exists because some (legacy) Windows
applications can't deal with Unicode.

So while I'm fairly confident that the answer to Taka's answer is "64
bit, Unicode", I see that this might not be so obvious to them.

>     Also, I find variety in the odbc driver.
>
> I don't. ODBC drivers implement the same protocol when communicating with the
> database and they all work the same.

Actually, no: The protocol between the application and the driver is the
same (for a given platform and ODBC version), but the protoocl between
the driver and the database is different:

> Here is what I have:
>
> [mgogala@umajor ~]$ rpm -qa *odbc*
> oracle-instantclient-odbc-21.5.0.0.0-1.x86_64
> postgresql-odbc-13.01.0000-2.fc36.x86_64
> msodbcsql17-17.10.1.1-1.x86_64

That's why you have three different drivers. You can't use the oracle
driver to connect to a postgresql database. You may not even be able to
use an oracle driver to connect to an oracle database that's too old or
too new (or you may be able to connect and then get weird errors -
BTDT). PostgreSQL is in my experience rather tolerant of client/server
mismatches, but I wouldn't be surprised if some stuff wouldn't work if
the versions are too different. Also, an application written for ODBC
4.0 might not work with a driver implementing ODBC 3.8.

        hp

Attachment