Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres?
Date
Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres?  ("Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at>)
List pgsql-general
On 7/24/22 19:56, Taka Taka wrote:
Hello.

I posted question bellow.

And? No takers? I wonder why. Maybe the question is unclear? This is really surprising :)

Hello.
I would like to know if psqlodbc_13_02 is compatible with M365.
Also, could you please tell me which of the psqlodbc_13_02 would be
suitable to Windows 10 64-bit?

What is M365? Is it a part of Microsoft Office 365, aka "O365"? Is it related to M-16? What di you mean by "driver suitable for Windows 10"? If the driver can be installed and configured by the MS ODBC driver administrator, then I guess it's suitable. Make sure the driver you use is mauve, they take the least RAM

Was my question inappropriate?
I wanted to know if the pdbc driver above would be compatible to Microsoft's M365.
What part of Office 365 do you want the compatibility with? Excel?
Also, I find variety in the odbc driver.

I don't. ODBC drivers implement the same protocol when communicating with the database and they all work the same. Here is what I have:

[mgogala@umajor ~]$ rpm -qa *odbc*
oracle-instantclient-odbc-21.5.0.0.0-1.x86_64
postgresql-odbc-13.01.0000-2.fc36.x86_64
msodbcsql17-17.10.1.1-1.x86_64
[mgogala@umajor ~]$

The string "f36" in the PostgreSQL ODBC package name denotes a very special version of Windows, more advanced than even Windows 11. I was able to connect all 3 of the drivers above to LibreOffice and use them to query the underlying database. I was able to do the same on my Windows 8.1, with all 3 of those drivers.

Is it possible to know which of the driver is suitable to Windows 10 64-bit?

Suitable how? What exactly do you want to do? What does the word "suitable" even mean in the context you're using it?

Or could you please tell me where to inquire?

There is this site named "https://www.google.com" which can be used to find a lot of useful information and some paid ads, too. As of lately, I prefer DDG, but that's just a personal preference.

If there were no takers for the first question, that may say something about the question. At this point, you gotta ask yourself one question only: do I feel lucky?

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant