Re: WAL usage calculation patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: WAL usage calculation patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 09:15:08AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > Indeed!  Fixed (using lowercase to match current output).
> >
> > I searched through the documentation and AFAICS most of occurances of
> > "full page" are follwed by "image" and full_page_writes is used only
> > as the parameter name.
> >
> > I'm fine with fpw as the acronym, but "fpw means the number of full
> > page images" looks odd..
> >

> I don't understand this.  Where are we using such a description of fpw?

I suggested to add " (FPW)" to the new docs for "explain(wal)"
But, the documentation before this commit mostly refers to "full page images".
So the implication is that maybe we should use that language (and FPI acronym).

The only pre-existing use of "full page writes" seems to be here:
$ git grep -iC2 'full page write' origin doc
origin:doc/src/sgml/wal.sgml-      Internal data structures such as <filename>pg_xact</filename>,

origin:doc/src/sgml/wal.sgml:      checksummed, nor are pages protected by full page writes. However, where

And we're not using either acronym.

--
Justin