Re: WAL usage calculation patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: WAL usage calculation patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 9:25 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> > > I searched through the documentation and AFAICS most of occurances of
> > > "full page" are follwed by "image" and full_page_writes is used only
> > > as the parameter name.
> > >
> > > I'm fine with fpw as the acronym, but "fpw means the number of full
> > > page images" looks odd..
> > >

> > I don't understand this.  Where are we using such a description of fpw?
>
> I suggested to add " (FPW)" to the new docs for "explain(wal)"
> But, the documentation before this commit mostly refers to "full page images".
> So the implication is that maybe we should use that language (and FPI acronym).

I am not sure if it matters that much. I think we can use "full page
writes (FPW)" in this case but we should be consistent wherever we
refer it in the WAL usage context and I think we already are, if not
then let's be consistent.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.