Re: WAL usage calculation patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: WAL usage calculation patch
Date
Re: WAL usage calculation patch  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Sun, 19 Apr 2020 16:22:26 +0200, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote in
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > Thanks for the review!
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:41 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Should capitalize at least the non-text one ?  And maybe the text one for
> > > consistency ?
> > >
> > > +               ExplainPropertyInteger("WAL fpw", NULL,
> >
> > I think we should keep both version consistent, whether lower or upper
> > case.  The uppercase version is probably more correct, but it's a
> > little bit weird to have it being the only upper case label in all
> > output, so I kept it lower case.

I think we can keep upper-case for all non-text ones in case of WAL
usage, something like WAL Records, WAL FPW, WAL Bytes.  The buffer
usage seems to be following a similar convention.

> One space follwed by an acronym looks perfect.  I'd prefer capital
> letters but small-letters also works well.
>
> > > And add the acronym to the docs:
> > >
> > > $ git grep 'full page' '*/explain.sgml'
> > > doc/src/sgml/ref/explain.sgml:      number of records, number of full page writes and amount of WAL bytes
> > >
> > > "..full page writes (FPW).."
> >
> > Indeed!  Fixed (using lowercase to match current output).
>
> I searched through the documentation and AFAICS most of occurances of
> "full page" are follwed by "image" and full_page_writes is used only
> as the parameter name.
>
> I'm fine with fpw as the acronym, but "fpw means the number of full
> page images" looks odd..

I don't understand this.  Where are we using such a description of fpw?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.