Re: autovacuum process blocks without reporting a deadlock - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: autovacuum process blocks without reporting a deadlock
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas Chille wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 3:14 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> hat are the column headings?  I find this difficult to read.
> >
> > Please post the whole of pg_locks.  I may be missing something but I
> > think we're missing part of the picture here.  Autovacuum does not seem
> > to be locking on anything.
>
> Unfortunately i logged the pg_locks-state not well formated. i added
> now the heading manually. maybe it is better or i have to wait till
> tomorrow morning.
>
> but what i think i can see, is that the process with pid 9317 is
> holding a ShareUpdateExclusiveLock

You missed that 9317 is also holding an ExclusiveLock.  What are the
vacuum_cost_delay and autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay setting?  I think
what's happening here is that you're being bitten by the bug that made
autovac sleep because of vacuum_delay, with the exclusive lock held
trying to truncate the table.

The solution is to upgrade to 8.1.10.

Also I just noticed you're on 8.1.4.  This is a bad idea because of
another ancient autovacuum bug.  As soon as you upgrade, allow
connections to template0 (update pg_database, set datallowconn), connect
to it and issue VACUUM FREEZE.  Then disallow connections to it again.

--
Alvaro Herrera                               http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
"La experiencia nos dice que el hombre peló millones de veces las patatas,