Re: List of prominent users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: List of prominent users
Date
Re: List of prominent users
Re: List of prominent users
List pgsql-advocacy
On Saturday 03 December 2005 18:04, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Over the last couple of weeks I was asked repeatedly for a list of
> prominent users of PostgreSQL.  I don't think we have that.  I know all
> of us can throw some names around, but no one has collected these.  I'm
> thinking something like this: http://www.mysql.com/customers/.
>
> I know that sort of list will be far less expressive than the case
> studies or an actual analysis of a user's needs, but it's the sort of
> thing people ask for at expositions and the like.

I have a couple of these lists laying around that I've wanted to put up.  I
actually did start to compile them for the web. This certainly isnt official
or anything but if you need some inspiration...
http://xzilla.postgresql.org/about/users

One issue we had never settled on was just what constitutes someone using
PostgreSQL?  For my$ql it's easy; are they sending my$ql a check?  For us
it's a little more nebulous. For example, I know that MTV uses PostgreSQL,
but I don't think MTV knows that, so I wouldn't include them.  Or taking it a
step further, every company that uses a powerbook uses postgresql (in theory)
but I wouldn't base things on that either.

--
Robert Treat