Re: List of prominent users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From elein
Subject Re: List of prominent users
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 12:04:14AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Over the last couple of weeks I was asked repeatedly for a list of
> prominent users of PostgreSQL.  I don't think we have that.  I know all
> of us can throw some names around, but no one has collected these.  I'm
> thinking something like this: http://www.mysql.com/customers/.
>
> I know that sort of list will be far less expressive than the case
> studies or an actual analysis of a user's needs, but it's the sort of
> thing people ask for at expositions and the like.
>
> So should be make a list like that?

There used to be an outdated and ill kept list on the postgresql site
somewhere.  I'm not sure it is still there.

It was problematic to update and keep updated.  And many large
companies and governments were reluctant to admit using postgresql.
Retaliation by Oracle or fear of Open Source were the reasons,
I believe.

But that should not stop us from trying to keep on ongoing list.
It should be dynamic (ideally only with inserts :).

Josh and the web guys have the capability to follow this up
if we make it a priority.

The list should include a contact so that the entry could be
verified.  This might be a difficult requirement but would certainly
add to the value of the list.

--elein