Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 3 May 2005, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:

>>> That wasn't my understanding of the previous discussion. Does not php
>>> require pg client support configured in at build time?
>>>

>> If your compiling it from source, it works similarly to perl... you only
>> need pg when compiling pg support into php, but you dont need tthis in for
>> plphp.
>

> I suspect you are missing the point completely.
>
> It is in fact not like building perl at all. I just downloaded php-4.3.11 and
> got this from configure --help:
>
> --with-pgsql[=DIR]      Include PostgreSQL support.  DIR is the PostgreSQL
>                         base install directory, defaults to
> /usr/local/pgsql.
>
> You will not find any such parameter for building perl.
>
> Now it is true that you don't need this in for plphp. But if you want php to
> have pg client support you need pg built first. And no sane packager is going
> to build php twice.

Actually, if you look through FreeBSD ports, this is exactly what happens
... when you build /usr/ports/devel/php4, it builds a "vanilla" php, no
modules ... if you want pgsql support, you go into
/usr/ports/databases/php4-pgsql, and build that (which has a dependency on
lang/php4) ...

So, for plphp, a "port" would just have to install /usr/ports/lang/php4 to
build, but would not necessarily build php4-pgsql ...

it is done this way to avoid packagers having to build a monolithich
"contains everything" php4 ...

----