Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Robert Treat (xzilla@users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
> If your compiling it from source, it works similarly to perl... you only need
> pg when compiling pg support into php, but you dont need tthis in for plphp.
>
> The problem stems from things like the php rpm spec, which has a module
> dependency on postgresql.  This would create a circular dependency if we were
> to put a dependency into the pg rpm spec for plphp.
>
> I think the solution to this is to create a seperate rpm spec for php-pgsql
> support, which would fall in line with how the php rpm packages are
> distributed, but I'm not an expert in rpm specs...

Just to point it out, Debian handles circular dependencies like these
without too much difficulty.  It's really only an issue when first
building the various packages, and then you just build one without all
the support initially, build the other, then rebuild the first with the
support.

So, in general, no, I don't think this should be justification for it
being part of the main source tree and as a Debian maintainer would much
prefer it be seperate and able to be compiled outside of the core
Postgres tree..
Stephen