Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Marc G. Fournier (scrappy@postgresql.org) wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >Now it is true that you don't need this in for plphp. But if you want php
> >to have pg client support you need pg built first. And no sane packager is
> >going to build php twice.
>
> Actually, if you look through FreeBSD ports, this is exactly what happens
> ... when you build /usr/ports/devel/php4, it builds a "vanilla" php, no
> modules ... if you want pgsql support, you go into
> /usr/ports/databases/php4-pgsql, and build that (which has a dependency on
> lang/php4) ...
>
> So, for plphp, a "port" would just have to install /usr/ports/lang/php4 to
> build, but would not necessarily build php4-pgsql ...
>
> it is done this way to avoid packagers having to build a monolithich
> "contains everything" php4 ...

Indeed, Debian does this for a number of packages too, and I think we
actually split out the PHP4 stuff into seperate 'source' packages in
some cases which ends up making it not actually have to be a circular
dependency (similar to Perl).
Thanks,
    Stephen