Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic Marketing - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic Marketing
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Since Rob is offering his company's professional services *as a
> donation*, he is entitled to put conditions on that donation.   The
> alternative to setting up a temporary list would be for him to deal
> with me only, and I don't think you'd prefer that.

Well, what do you try to achieve?  Either you moderate/restrict the
forum, then you get your peace, and no one will pay attention to your
work.  Or you want to develop something for the public with the public,
then you need to deal with the fact that the public is large, has
different ideas, and wants to discuss those ideas.  Do you think that
will be different on a "marketing message" list?  I don't see how.

Again, if you're not interested in everything that goes on here, don't
read the threads that are not addressed to you.  (Modern mail readers
can help.)  But how are you going to develop a "marketing message" if
you don't listen to everybody?  And if people think that a knoppix CD
would be a good means to drive the marketing message to the end user,
we should listen to that.

Rob needs to come to terms with the fact that the PostgreSQL community
is large and diverse.  You can't resolve issues that are as central as
a marketing message in a quiet chamber and have everyone take it
serious at the end.  This is not the way open-source software works.