Re: full featured alter table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: full featured alter table?
Date
Re: full featured alter table?  (Sven Köhler <skoehler@upb.de>)
Re: full featured alter table?  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>)
Re: full featured alter table?  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:31:02 -0500,
  "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> wrote:

> The one thing we don't have that I think would be useful is a way to
> re-order the columns in a table. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to want
> column to appear in a specific order, and the only way you can
> accomplish this today is by re-creating the entire table.

You can specify the order that columns are output now. The real underlying
order should really be up to postgres to decide based on what is most
efficient.
If you were thinking about the order you get when you use * as a shorthand
for all of the columns, perhaps there could be some way to change that
without actually changing the order of the columns in the table.
I doubt it would be a good idea to do that though. It is already a bad
idea to use * in applications in case something does change the order
or number of columns. * is mostly going to be used in adhoc queries
where you care about saving some typing. It may not be worth adding
a feature like that for the limited amount of use it would get.