Re: full featured alter table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sven Köhler
Subject Re: full featured alter table?
Date
List pgsql-general
 > You can specify the order that columns are output now. The real
 > underlying
 > order should really be up to postgres to decide based on what is most
 > efficient.

how can i specify it?
i think we all ment cosmetical changes, not the "real" underlying order
which should be up to postgresql of course!

 > If you were thinking about the order you get when you use * as a
 > shorthand
 > for all of the columns, perhaps there could be some way to change that
 > without actually changing the order of the columns in the table.

"select *" should refelect the cosmetical order of the columns.
"select *" could be tranformed into something like "select col1, col2,
..." according to the cosmetical order that's defined.
if that's not the case at the moment, i don't care, because i don't use
"select *" by assuming any column-order for the reasons you already
mentioned.