Re: full featured alter table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: full featured alter table?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:59:08AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:31:02 -0500,
>   "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
> >
> > The one thing we don't have that I think would be useful is a way to
> > re-order the columns in a table. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to want
> > column to appear in a specific order, and the only way you can
> > accomplish this today is by re-creating the entire table.
>
> You can specify the order that columns are output now. The real underlying
> order should really be up to postgres to decide based on what is most
> efficient.

Actually, I was talking about the underlying order, because (at least
the last time I asked about this), pgsql doesn't do any intelligent
ordering under the covers. Because of that, I'd like to be able to order
based on the optimal ordering I was given (fixed width before variable,
then not null before null).

Of course it would certainly be best if pgsql would automagically
optimize internal storage order for me.
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim@nasby.net