Re: Lock timeout detection in postgres 7.3.1 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Lock timeout detection in postgres 7.3.1
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> Christoph Haller wrote:
> <cut>
> > Yupp, I agree.
> > But from former DBMS I was dealing with,
> > I know this SET TIMEOUT called feature, which if properly set
> > terminated processes like that hanging on T2.
> > Is there something comparable within Postgres?
>
> PostgreSQL 7.3 Documentation
> 3.4. Run-time Configuration
> STATEMENT_TIMEOUT (integer)
> Aborts any statement that takes over the specified number of milliseconds. A value of zero turns off the timer.
> DEADLOCK_TIMEOUT (integer)
> This is the amount of time, in milliseconds, to wait on a lock before checking to see if there is a deadlock
condition

> In this case I suppose 2 things:
> - table has a lot of records and you should just wait to finish operation.
> - another query locked the table and it is realy a deadlock

One of the uses of STATEMENT_TIMEOUT is to allow a LOCK or query to fail
if it doesn't complete in a short time.  We don't have a special timer
to say if we are waiting on a lock for a specified time --- just a
query-level timer.

Pennsylvania19073