Re: What is wrong with this identification configuration? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: What is wrong with this identification configuration?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:45:49 -0500, Wei Weng <wweng@kencast.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > The format of the hba.conf file changed between 7.1 and 7.2. It looks like
> > you are using an old one. After the database field, there is now a user
> > field. To get the same effect as before, use 'all' for the user.
> I installed PostgreSQL rpm on a fresh installed Redhat 7.3. There is no
> PostgreSQL 7.1 previously installed so I don't think the pg_hba.conf I was
> editing is a left-over copy.
>
> Specifically, which part of the configuration:
>

> is wrong and should be fixed accordingly?

I think you want:
local   all     all                                           trust
host    all     all   127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255         trust

It is possible I am wrong about when the format changed. I have been using
7.3 for a long time now. But the error message you got suggested that it
was looking for a match of connection method, database and user which is
what the newer version of the config file lists. Previously on;y connection
method and database were used.