Re: Lock timeout detection in postgres 7.3.1 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tomasz Myrta
Subject Re: Lock timeout detection in postgres 7.3.1
Date
List pgsql-sql
Christoph Haller wrote:
<cut>
> Yupp, I agree.
> But from former DBMS I was dealing with,
> I know this SET TIMEOUT called feature, which if properly set
> terminated processes like that hanging on T2.
> Is there something comparable within Postgres?

PostgreSQL 7.3 Documentation
3.4. Run-time Configuration
STATEMENT_TIMEOUT (integer)
Aborts any statement that takes over the specified number of milliseconds. A value of zero turns off the timer.
DEADLOCK_TIMEOUT (integer)
This is the amount of time, in milliseconds, to wait on a lock before checking to see if there is a deadlock condition

In this case I suppose 2 things:
- table has a lot of records and you should just wait to finish operation.
- another query locked the table and it is realy a deadlock

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta