Re: Editor for pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Marc Spitzer
Subject Re: Editor for pgsql
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:09:21PM -0400, James Orr wrote:
> On Monday 22 July 2002 12:27 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Me, I use Kate, an MDI text editor from the KDE crew, and CVS for
> > version control.   Thanks, KDE guys!    But, after 3 years of Postgres,
> > I'm pretty fluent in PL/pgSQL.  I even double-quote without thinking
> > about it.
>
> How do you use CVS on your database?  I recently started doing this, and i'm
> wondering how other people handle it.
>
> Basically I create a sql folder with three sub-folders tables, views
> and functions. I have a file for each table in tables, each view in
> views and for each trigger and/or function in functions.
>
> For the actual editing? I'm a vi fan myself :).  If i'm using the graphical
> vim I can even do CVS operations with a custom menu.
>
> - James

James,

That sounds very ugly, I will usually have 1-4 files per db.  Either
everything goes into 1 file, drops at the front then creates.  Or
2 files, 1 for ddl( create/drop table) and another for plpgsql procedures
and triggers.  Sometimes I will split each of those into a create and drop
file.  But that is about as complex as I want it to get.

marc