Re: Help with data transfer please - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Help with data transfer please
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:40:36PM +0200, tony wrote:

> > Alternatively, since the database can (presumably) be shut down every
> > night, why not shut down the postmaster at each end and use rsync to
> > synchronise the data directories?  (I haven't tested that, and don't
> > know if it'll work, but I think it should.)
>

> Set up a cron job that dumps the database.
> SCP the dump from one machine to the other.
> Drop the database and recreate it.
> Import the dump file.

But he said he was trying to reduce long-distance charges as much as
possible.  Wouldn't rsync (maybe over ssh) keep those charges lower?
A full dump file on a database of any size can get pretty big, and if
only one or two data files have changed in the period, you'd only
need to copy the changes with rsync.  (As I said, I don't know if
it would work, but it'd be worth testing.)

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110