Re: Help with data transfer please - Mailing list pgsql-general

From terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Subject Re: Help with data transfer please
Date
List pgsql-general
It is my understanding that copying the files that reside in the data
directory are not sufficient for a backup/restore, (because there are file
pointers within the data files I believe, pointers which are no longer valid
on a different server because different blocks get assigned to different
files).  Therefore it follows that an rsync would not be sufficient to keep
the database in sync.

Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Terry Fielder
Network Engineer
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com