Re: Help with data transfer please - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Help with data transfer please
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 04:30:26PM -0400, terry@greatgulfhomes.com wrote:
> It is my understanding that copying the files that reside in the data
> directory are not sufficient for a backup/restore, (because there are file
> pointers within the data files I believe, pointers which are no longer valid
> on a different server because different blocks get assigned to different
> files).  Therefore it follows that an rsync would not be sufficient to keep
> the database in sync.

Hmm.  That sounds plausible.  But you can tar up a data directory,
and restore it later on a different physical device, and it will
work.  Or, at least, it has worked for me.  This, only if the
postmaster is shut down.  But maybe my case was just a fluke.
Someone who knows should weigh in.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110