Re: Help with data transfer please - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tony
Subject Re: Help with data transfer please
Date
Re: Help with data transfer please  (terry@greatgulfhomes.com)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 17:42, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> I I understand his need correctly, what is needed is a two-way sync:
> changes in office 1 need to be in office 2 for when he goes to office
> 2, and then changes made at office 2 need to get sent back to office
> 1.  If I'm right, rserv won't work.  Recent discussions of
> replication did not, IIRC, turn up any multi-master replication
> systems other than Postgres-R.  (Maybe I don't RC, though.)
>
> One answer might be to buy a laptop.  Carry the database in the
> laptop.  It's another expense, of course, but it might work.

Good idea

> Alternatively, since the database can (presumably) be shut down every
> night, why not shut down the postmaster at each end and use rsync to
> synchronise the data directories?  (I haven't tested that, and don't
> know if it'll work, but I think it should.)

SSH is your friend!

Set up a cron job that dumps the database.
SCP the dump from one machine to the other.
Drop the database and recreate it.
Import the dump file.

This is the system I will be putting into place for a client in
september. For another with non sensitive data the dump is e-mailed
daily as a backup. Just got to love aDSL!!

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S