Re: [SQL] VIEWs and FOREIGN keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Subject Re: [SQL] VIEWs and FOREIGN keys
Date
List pgsql-general
Right, I had forgotten that the foreign key is supposed, to be unique.

Not withstanding that, a general solution would have to handle more then
just updates via the query, it would also have to handle updates done
directly to (one or more) of the views source table.

Therefore, ultimately you will need a trigger in ALL the source tables for
DELETE/UPDATE events, and they would need to know that logic of the VIEW's
WHERE clause and how it restricts result rows, therefore it could then
determine if the change to the underlying table would break the FK
constraint on the view.

Having said that, I am sure I could write pseudocode to do this.

However, given the fact that:
a)  the view can be very complex
b)  the update/delete query to the underlying can be extremely complex (eg
nested selects, updates, IN constraints, etc)

The coded solution would get very ugly, very fast.

This clears things up for me, I wish I had a "cool idea" to implement this
functionality, but I do not.  Weighed against the complexity of implementing
it, the benefit acquired is not worth the brain damage to get there.

If the user *really* needed an FK to a view, then how about setting up a
table that contains the info of the view, updated by triggers hanging off
the source tables for the view that copy the result of the view into the the
views mirror table.  This is not an efficient solution, and not even viable
if the view produces a large dataset, but just a thought for the users that
really *really* want to "foreign key into a view" ...

Terry Fielder
Network Engineer
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com