Re: numeric/decimal docs bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Well, our regression tests are not intended to test every possible
> > NUMERIC combination, just a resonable subset.  As it is now, I often
> > think the regression tests have hung because numeric takes so much
> > longer than any of the other tests.  We have had this code in there for
> > a while now, and it is not OS-specific stuff, so I think we should just
> > pair it back so we know it is working.  We already have bignumeric for a
> > larger test.
>
> Bruce,
>
>     have  you even taken one single look at the test? It does 100
>     of each add, sub, mul and div, these are the fast  operations
>     that don't really take much time.
>
>     Then it does 10 of each sqrt(), ln(), log10(), pow10() and 10
>     combined  power(ln()).   These   are   the   time   consuming
>     operations,   working   iterative  alas  Newton,  Taylor  and
>     McLaurin. All that is done with 10 digits after  the  decimal
>     point only!
>
>     So  again,  WHAT  exactly  do  you  mean with "pair it back"?
>     Sorry, I don't get it. Do you want to remove the entire test?
>     Reduce  it  to  an  INSERT,  one  SELECT (so that we know the
>     input-  and  output  functions  work)  and  the  four   basic
>     operators  used once? Well, that's a hell of a test, makes me
>     really feel comfortable. Like the  mechanic  kicking  against
>     the  tire  then  saying  "I  ain't  see noth'n wrong with the
>     brakes, ya sure can make a trip in the mountains".  Yeah,  at
>     least once!

Jan, regression is not a test of the level a developer would use to make
sure his code works.  It is merely to make sure the install works on a
limited number of cases.  Having seen zero reports of any numeric
failures since we installed it, and seeing it takes >10x times longer
than the other tests, I think it should be paired back.  Do we really
need 10 tests of each complex function?  I think one would do the trick.

Pennsylvania19026