Re: numeric/decimal docs bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Well, our regression tests are not intended to test every possible
> > > NUMERIC combination, just a resonable subset.  As it is now, I often
> > > think the regression tests have hung because numeric takes so much
> > > longer than any of the other tests.  We have had this code in there for
> > > a while now, and it is not OS-specific stuff, so I think we should just
> > > pair it back so we know it is working.  We already have bignumeric for a
> > > larger test.
> >
> > Bruce,
> >
> >     have  you even taken one single look at the test? It does 100
> >     of each add, sub, mul and div, these are the fast  operations
> >     that don't really take much time.
> >
> >     Then it does 10 of each sqrt(), ln(), log10(), pow10() and 10
> >     combined  power(ln()).   These   are   the   time   consuming
> >     operations,   working   iterative  alas  Newton,  Taylor  and
> >     McLaurin. All that is done with 10 digits after  the  decimal
> >     point only!
> >
> >     So  again,  WHAT  exactly  do  you  mean with "pair it back"?
> >     Sorry, I don't get it. Do you want to remove the entire test?
> >     Reduce  it  to  an  INSERT,  one  SELECT (so that we know the
> >     input-  and  output  functions  work)  and  the  four   basic
> >     operators  used once? Well, that's a hell of a test, makes me
> >     really feel comfortable. Like the  mechanic  kicking  against
> >     the  tire  then  saying  "I  ain't  see noth'n wrong with the
> >     brakes, ya sure can make a trip in the mountains".  Yeah,  at
> >     least once!
>
> Jan, regression is not a test of the level a developer would use to make
> sure his code works.  It is merely to make sure the install works on a
> limited number of cases.  Having seen zero reports of any numeric
> failures since we installed it, and seeing it takes >10x times longer
> than the other tests, I think it should be paired back.  Do we really
> need 10 tests of each complex function?  I think one would do the trick.
   You  forgot  who  wrote  that  code  originally.  I feel alot   better WITH the tests in place :-)
   And if it's merely to make sure the install worked,  man  who   is  doing  source  installations  these  days  and
runs the   regression tests anyway?  Most people throw in a RPM  or  the   like, only a few serious users install from
sources,and only   a fistfull of them then runs regression.

   Aren't it mostly developers and  distro-maintainers  who  use   that  directory?  I  think your entire point isn't
justweak,   IMNSVHO you don't really have a point.

Jan