Re: numeric/decimal docs bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: numeric/decimal docs bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, our regression tests are not intended to test every possible
> NUMERIC combination, just a resonable subset.  As it is now, I often
> think the regression tests have hung because numeric takes so much
> longer than any of the other tests.  We have had this code in there for
> a while now, and it is not OS-specific stuff, so I think we should just
> pair it back so we know it is working.  We already have bignumeric for a
> larger test.

Bruce,
   have  you even taken one single look at the test? It does 100   of each add, sub, mul and div, these are the fast
operations  that don't really take much time.

   Then it does 10 of each sqrt(), ln(), log10(), pow10() and 10   combined  power(ln()).   These   are   the   time
consuming  operations,   working   iterative  alas  Newton,  Taylor  and   McLaurin. All that is done with 10 digits
after the  decimal   point only!

   So  again,  WHAT  exactly  do  you  mean with "pair it back"?   Sorry, I don't get it. Do you want to remove the
entiretest?   Reduce  it  to  an  INSERT,  one  SELECT (so that we know the   input-  and  output  functions  work)
and the  four   basic   operators  used once? Well, that's a hell of a test, makes me   really feel comfortable. Like
the mechanic  kicking  against   the  tire  then  saying  "I  ain't  see noth'n wrong with the   brakes, ya sure can
makea trip in the mountains".  Yeah,  at   least once!

Jan