Re: 7.3 schedule - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 7.3 schedule
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:21:04 -0400 (EDT)
> "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > > A per-backend cache kept in local memory avoids all of these problems,
> > > and I have seen no numbers to make me think that a shared plan cache
> > > would achieve significantly more performance benefit than a local one.
> >
> > Certainly a shared cache would be good for apps that connect to issue a
> > single query frequently.  In such cases, there would be no local cache
> > to use.
>
> One problem with this kind of scenario is: what to do if the plan no
> longer exists for some reason? (e.g. the code that was supposed to be
> PREPARE-ing your statements failed to execute properly, or the cached
> plan has been evicted from shared memory, or the database was restarted,
> etc.) -- EXECUTE in and of itself won't have enough information to do
> anything useful. We could perhaps provide a means for an application
> to test for the existence of a cached plan (in which case the
> application developer will need to add logic to their application
> to re-prepare the query if necessary, which could get complicated).

Oh, are you thinking that one backend would do the PREPARE and another
one the EXECUTE?  I can't see that working at all.  I thought there
would some way to quickly test if the submitted query was in the cache,
but maybe that is too much of a performance penalty to be worth it.

Pennsylvania19026