Re: Cannot start postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent R. Matzelle
Subject Re: Cannot start postmaster
Date
List pgsql-general
3/17/2001 1:32:53 PM, "Moishe Groger" <groger@techfeasibility.com> wrote:
>   I just finished compiling and installing the newest versions of cygwin,
>   cygipc, and postgresql 7.1 beta 6. When I attempt to run "postmaster -D
>   /usr/local/pgsql/data", however, I receive the following error message:
>
>   C:\cygwin\usr\local\pgsql\bin\postgres.exe: ***
>   recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed
>   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 924 exited with status 256

The current version of Cygwin, 1.1.8, has a bug in mmap()/fork() that causes
that particular error.  You can refer to this bug report:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-02/msg00203.html.  The bug has been
fixed and has been placed in the current CVS.  I personally have not tried
it.

Brent