Re: IDE or RAD tools - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: IDE or RAD tools
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19 Mar 2001 11:25:10 +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Terry Fielder wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend any Iintegrated Development Environment or Rapid
> > Application Development tools for hooking upto a PostgrSQL database?
> >
> > In particular, I am looking for something that develops for Linux,
> > because that is what my server is, and I want the users to work thin
> > client.
>
> Unix (and therefore Linux) differ very much from Windows
> environmentally. One of the best things about a GNU Unix systems is that
> you basically have every possible tool at your finger tips. You should
> consider the shell your IDE or RAD environment.

Sorry this is not an option for some of us. This maybe great for people
who are _real_ programmers but not in my case and maybe not in the case
of Terry. I need symbolic representation of data. While I am drawing
pretty dataflow structures why not have the data actually use this work
instead of drawing up the database on paper then hand coding everything
from a text editor?

I would suggest Java - JDBC - Postgresql. JBuilder 4 is the tool I am
testing at the moment. If you need a WWW thin client throw in
Enhydra/Kelp application server.

Cheers

Tony Grant